Mah Jongg Tournaments
Registration / Schedule
Rules (you are here)
Event Scores and Pictures
Mah Jongg Cruises
Mah Jongg Blog
MAH JONGG TOURNAMENT RULES
BE PROMPT. A 35 POINT PENALTY MAY BE GIVEN TO ANY PLAYER NOT SEATED WHEN THE GAME BEGINS.
- Each player rotates roll of dice and breaking of wall, starting with player who rolls highest number.
- "A" will verify "C" 's scores and initial official computer score card and vice-versa. "B" will verify "D" 's scores and initial the official computer score card and vice-versa. The scorekeeper will not accept any unverified scorecards.
- The Charleston is the same. First Charleston is compulsory; Second Charleston if all players agree. If you steal a tile you may not look at it. If you look at it, you will be penalized ten (10) points at the end of that game.
**** Positively NO PICKING AHEAD **** Player picks before discarding. You may be declared "Dead" for picking ahead. Your turn begins when you pick a tile or call a tile for exposure.
- Player may call last discarded tile for Mah Jongg or exposure. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS... NO CALLING BACK.... ONCE A TILE IS COVERED, EVEN BY A JOKER, IT IS A "DEAD" TILE. A tile may be called for Mah Jongg or exposure until such time as the subsequent player either discards or racks the picked tile.
- Scoring for each hand is same as on the current National Mah Jongg League Standard Hands and Rules card. Add ten points to score when player picks own Mah Jongg tile.
- NOTE: BONUS: Add 20 points to score when player declares Mah Jongg and there are no Jokers in the hand. Exception: There is no bonus given on any of the hands listed under the Singles - Pairs Group.
- Add ten points to each player's score for a "Wall" game. If a game is not completed within designated time, each player
receives "ZERO". NO POINTS GIVEN. If a player's hand goes "dead", or is declared "dead", player does not get ten points even if it is a "Wall" game. NO TABLE TALK (whether hand is "dead). If you think a hand is "dead", declare it! However, if
you declare a hand "dead" in error, your hand is "dead".
- PENALTY: Minus 10 points to a player who throws winning tile to player who has no exposures on rack or who has one exposure on rack.
- PENALTY: Minus 20 points to player who throws winning tile to player who has two or more exposures on rack. This includes the necessary single or pair.
- In the event of a Wall Game – Dead players get "0" (Zero).
- When declaring Mah Jongg, the hand should be displayed as it appears on the Mah Jongg Card. If you do not display the
hand in proper order and another player asks you to do so, you must do so. If you refuse, your hand may be declared dead and
the game will continue.
- If a player who has been playing an exposed hand calls Mah Jongg or exposes in error, any exposures made BEFORE the
error stay on top of rack, and any player may redeem Joker or Jokers when it is their turn. Player with erring hand is dead and
stops picking and discarding.
- If a concealed hand is incorrectly exposed for Mah Jongg, tiles must be returned to rack. Joker or Jokers cannot be
redeemed and player stops picking and discarding.
- If Mah Jongg is called in error, and three other players expose their hands, all get "ZERO" (0) points. If one person does
not expose hand, that player gets ten (10) points... everyone else gets "ZERO" (0) points. If Mah. Jongg is called in error and two
or more hands are intact, game continues.
- Fifteen (15) minutes allotted for each game (One hour for 4 games). After four (4) games (a round), One player collects
score cards and brings all four (4) of them to Director's table. All four cards must be handed in together!!!!
- DO NOT LEAVE THE ROOM BEFORE YOU SUBMIT THE SCORE CARDS TO THE SCOREKEEPER.
In the first session player "A" will collect ALL 4 CARDS and turn them in to the official scorekeeper.
In the second session player "B" will collect ALL 4 CARDS and turn them in to the official scorekeeper.
In the third session player "C" will collect ALL 4 CARDS and turn them in to the official scorekeeper.
In the final session player "D" will collect ALL 4 CARDS and turn them in to the official scorekeeper.
- IT IS THE COLLECTOR FOR THAT SESSION WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SUBMITTING ALL 4 CARDS TOGETHER!
- At the end of each round, please do not sit around and talk. Please leave the room until the next round is ready to begin.
Players who stay in the room and disturb those still playing may be penalized 50 points.
- If a question arises during play, Director's ruling will be final. All decisions made by the director shall be based on these
rules and the director’s personal judgment. Arguing with Director may be grounds for immediate disqualification. Any question
about scoring or rules should be addressed by the Director and not by the players. If you resolve a question of rules or scoring at
your table, there can be no recourse to the Director. Only the Director is authorized to arbitrate any dispute as to rules or scoring.
IF THERE IS A TIE AT ANY LEVEL,
PRIZES WILL BE SHARED EQUALLY.
Prepared in conjunction with the National Mah Jongg League, Inc.
Entire Page ©1990 through 2005, Specialty Cruises International, Inc.
The links to the left are all active and may be used now. More links and content will be added in coming days.
In the meantime, please call us, toll free at 1-866 MAH JONG (1-866-624-5664). We'll be happy to answer any and all questions about the Mah Jongg Cruise or any of our many tournaments held throughout the United States.